I’ve been bitten by the stomach bug and it ain’t pretty. I needed a little escape from all the Gatorade and bathroom fun, so I’m linking up with A Blonde Ambition for Confessional Friday!
1. What’s your middle name? Paige. It was going to be my first name, but my Mama couldn’t decide what to use for a middle name, so it was bumped into second place. If you ever attend the church were I grew up, you will hear most of the older generation call me “Lauren Paige.” It’s a southern thing.
2. If you could live anywhere else in the world where would you live? If I’m moving in the U.S. and money wouldn’t matter, I would want to try New York City. I’ve always had an itch to live there. I would also want to try San Jose, California. My Dad lived there for a few years and it was pretty much paradise when we went to visit. Apparently I have expensive taste.
After three trips to Costa Rica, I’ve pretty much decided I would be happy to retire there. It’s beautiful, people are friendly and it’s affordable. And you always see something interesting when you are driving in Costa Rica, like a herd of horses being moved or a family of four on one bicycle.
I also wouldn’t mind living in Europe for a few years. I’m constantly telling Nick to check on open jobs there since his company is international. I’m hoping we have one international move….and that Carson comes home with an accent!!
3. Tell us about your guilty pleasures. Cake and ice cream are definitely at the top of my list. I will never turn down an extra-large scoop of ice cream. I will occasionally pop in The O.C. on DVD and rewatch the first seasons. I also love singing in the car and pretending that I could win American Idol. And, if you’ve read this blog before, you probably have heard about my obsession with Kate Middleton. I can also watch Friends on repeat without getting tired of it. It’s the best show EVER.
4. What do you like best about your job? If you weren’t doing that, what career would you have pursued?
I love the event planning aspect of P.R. There is something so satisfying about making a list of things to do and slowly checking off each item. It’s also fun to plan a party using someone else’s money!
I also like the speech writing part of my job. It terrified me when I first started working and I had to write speeches about transportation, technology, science and education. How in the world was I supposed to sound intelligent about a subject I barely knew? Research, my friend! I like the process of starting a rough draft and working my way through multiple versions (usually going crazy with writer’s block in the middle) and then hearing the words out loud on event day! It always makes me laugh when I hear a Senator or Congressman using a speech I have written. I still pretty much feel like I’m 22 on the inside, but out come my words sounding professional!
5. Five items you’d grab during a fire. (People and pets don’t count. Those are a given.) My scrapbooks, my wedding and engagement rings, my Grandfather’s World War II medal and Navy dog tags. Since I have about 15 scrapbooks, I think I’m past my limit.
6. Marathon running…something you’d like to pursue or just plain crazy? I am running my second half marathon in April. I have secretly been considering a full within the next year, but I’m not committed yet. Right now, I’ll stick with my goal of running a half before Carson turns one. If I run the April race, I will make my goal with three weeks to spare. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!
7. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be? Food is awesome, so this is a little hard to narrow down. But I’ll have to go with a steak (medium rare), twice baked potato, salad and bread. That’s the meal I always had Dad and Janet cook for my birthday. Yum.
I also love chips and salsa and fajitas. This sounds so much better than the toast diet I’ve been on for the past two days.
8. Last person you spoke to…annnnnd….go! My Mama on the phone, my husband through text and Kayla on Voxer. This is pretty much a given on any day.
9. Favorite childhood toy I was a big fan of Barbies and would spend hours playing with them with my friend Melissa.
10. Breakfast cereal of choice I can eat a box of Froot Loops in about two days. I can’t buy them for this reason. My niece Lily had some Trix the other day and I polished off her entire snack bag. I also loved Cocoa Puffs as a kid. Clearly I love kid’s cereal.