When I was in high school, I remember thinking that when I hit 30, I would officially be a grown-up.
Well, since then, I think I’ve learned that having a husband and child, moving to another city, starting your own business and paying a mortgage probably places you in the grown-up territory more than age. But in any case, today is the day-I’m 30!
In honor of turning 30, here are 30 things about me:
1. When I was a senior in high school, I dislocated my elbow two days before our first competition.
2. I had a Spanish minor in college and studied abroad in Costa Rica for a month during the summer.
3. The amount of Spanish I now speak is pretty sad. Nick laughs at me all the time because I can’t remember words and he always knows them.
4. Friends is all my all time favorite show and the one where Ross gets a spray tan is one of my favorite episodes. (I’m a 8!)
5. When I was younger, I rode horses and wanted to be a jockey. At 5″5, I surpassed the height requirements.
6. I was a big boy band lover in high school and saw NSYNC, Backstreet Boys and 98 Degrees in concert. I still am a big fan of Justin Timberlake today. Nick says I’m still a teenybopper and he’s probably right.
7. Speaking of singing, if I could pick any talent, I would want to be able to sing. In college, Jessica and I made a music video to Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. You definitely don’t want to see it because we are both terrible singers.
8. Even though I’m a “grown-up”, I don’t like staying at home alone at night and sleep with a golf club or baseball bat when Nick is gone. Intruders, beware.
9. If I could have a pick of any jobs for a while, I would want to work for the First Lady or on the Bachelor. I want all the TV show and White House secrets!
10. I’m a terrible passenger on road trips because I immediately fall asleep in the car. My husband is the same way, so we are not a good combination.
11. If I’m wearing make-up, I can’t go to sleep without washing my face, no matter how late it is.
12. I played softball for several years growing up, but I wasn’t that great. Cheerleading and horses were more my thing!
13. If you are a regular reader of this blog, I’m sure you already know that I’m a huge fan of Kate Middleton. She’s just brilliant as they would say over in London (or at least they do in my books that are based there).
14. Speaking of books, my bookcase is overflowing because I don’t get rid of ones I really like because I read them again.
15. When I walked to my office in DC, I always passed several homeless people sitting on the sidewalk by the metro. I had this irrational fear of getting my ankle grabbed one day.
16. I have a terrible sense of direction and routinely got lost in Knoxville and Nashville during high school and college. For some reason, I was able to navigate around DC really well. I don’t get it either.
17. I am a lover of all flavors of ice cream, but a big bowl of chocolate is my favorite.
18. I absolutely hate scary movies. Actually, I don’t even like when the previews come on TV. I always mute it!
19. Sitting on the beach and reading a good book and then taking a nap is heaven in my opinion.
20. In middle school, I decided I wanted to live in New York City or Washington, DC. I got Nick to DC for three years, but I’m positive he would divorce me if we moved to NYC.
21. I talk to my Mom on the phone several times a day and to my Dad several times during the week. I think my parents are cool. Too bad I didn’t have this opinion in middle school!!
22. I almost majored in broadcasting in college. When I see the anchors working on Christmas Day or at 5:00 a.m., I am very thankful I chose a different profession.
23. I’ve owned three cars in my life-a Ford Escort, affectionately known as the Ford Beamer, a Scion TC and a Toyota Highlander. I’ve paid for all three myself.
24. I really like the house hunting process. I love going in and seeing what a house looks like! If I had an unlimited budget, I would restore an old farmhouse. However, we are not rich, so we didn’t go that route!
25. I am not handy at all. I tried to put several pieces of Carson’s baby furniture together (swing, etc.) and failed miserably. However, I put an IKEA bookshelf together last weekend without help. Apparently directions that are solely photos and have no written instructions work better for my brain!
26. If I could do anything regardless of money, I would travel all over the world.
27. Sometimes I tend to be selfish. Luckily my husband isn’t, so he’s working on me. 🙂
28. Riding horses on the beach was always a dream of mine. I did it in Costa Rica, but it wasn’t as great as it sounded. Our guide’s horse threw him off and spooked my horse, who took off and I had to duck under a giant tree branch. Thank goodness for riding lessons!!
29. I love to bake and even better, I love to eat the treats afterwards!
30. When I took the ACT in high school, I made a 30 in English and Reading and a 20 in Math and Science. I really hope Carson gets his math skills from Nick!
Here’s to officially being a grown-up.